Friday, November 12, 2004

My New Play: Man on the train!

I had the greatest pleasure of taking the train at 1.00pm today! On my way to gym, then later saunter in leisurely into the office.

I stood there, Car No: 3340 Door: 34
Westbound to Boonlay, Destination Tanjong Pagar.

Suddenly I thought, oh shit! didn't bring my phone out with me. But fret not, my journey to town suddenly exploded into the high echelons of reality drama when this burly chinese guy in his mid 30s, pretty ohkaay casually dressed started to yell loudly, uncontrollably and unintelligebly into his mobile phone ear piece while facing the opposite door.

A few pointers:
How loudly?: Passengers in the train visibly jumped.
How weird?: People thought he was nuts.
How so?: He looked like he was talking to himself (earpiece..:D)
How unintelligible?: I thought he was not Singaporean at first, speaking a rough mix of dialect Korean or something.

Now for the fun part. This shouting man, talks loudly then suddenly lets out long shouts of anguish to the phone and people who have just stepped into the train, not knowing who they were standing near, suddenly all jump up in unision and the scatter towards the centre of the train (wow! effective SMRT take note?) I figured out after a loong while that he was yelling about some $3000 and that "daddy die of heatstroke!" (I KID YOU NOT)
(and i thought i started to understood a mutated Korean language)

So for the next 30 mins, my great amusement was made up of people milling in, then all jumping scattering away, then eyeing that man with a mixture of fear, loathing, curiousity and derision.

It's quite something to see...EVERYONE i mean a good sincere section of the local community had the same reaction.

Wow. I've decided. If i ever should direct a play, I'm gonna stage this. Make the audiences buy tickets then make them gather in a foyer of sorts. Then, have this crazy dude come in, and of course a few other actors to spice things up and the whole play will be a culmination of audience reaction and how they play off from each other.

But realistically, don't think that will work in Singapore. How strange "reality" really is.

1 comment:

JANNYJANJAN said...

babe... it happens all the time already.. notice how we all draw back in repulsion when laoban steps into office? yucks. :)